Teens may have learned about basic car maintenance during the permit phase of their driving education, but they can always use a refresher.
1. Why car maintenance is important
Learning about basic car systems and how they function will give teens an appreciation for all they control as a driver. Additionally, a properly operating and maintained car is a safer car. It is also easier and less expensive to make repairs before they become major issues. Make sure your teen knows how to:
- Check the oil and knows what to do if the oil is low or discolored.
- How to jump-start a car correctly.
- Replace windshield wipers.
- Refill the windshield washer fluid.
- How to check the tire pressure and knows the correct pressure for the tires.
- Identify different fluid leaks based on color.
- Change a tire.
- Identify the different dashboard warning and check engine lights.