During teens’ permit stage, they likely practiced parking and have some basic skills as a result. Now is a great time to ride with teens as they park and remind them of the following:
- Suggest they park in less busy areas of the parking lot while they are still developing their skills.
- Watch for signs when parking. If unsure if parking is allowed, don’t park there.
- Not to park in areas where “no one ever gets a ticket,” despite signs that prohibit parking.
- When pulling into a spot, make sure there is enough room for the driver and passengers to get out! A parking spot is no good if you can’t exit the car.
- Make a note of where the car is parked. It’s easy to lose a car in a big parking lot. Snap a picture of a nearby landmark as a reminder.
- Always try to park in a well-lit area with people around. It will keep cars and teens safer.
- Don’t leave packages or anything valuable in plain sight.
- Keep others in mind when parking. Don’t make it impossible for others to get into their car or out of their spot.
- It’s a good idea to look around and be aware of their surroundings when leaving the space.